This Eggplant Rollatini from the talented moms behind Habitual Hostess makes a great vegetarian entree that happens to be gluten-free as well. Since it uses a lot of the same flavors as Chicken Parmesan, it’s an easy option to serve meatlovers and vegetarians alike. Don’t love eggplant? Try using zucchini instead.
1 large eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise (we aim for about 1/4 inch thick)
2 cups marinara (we suggest Raos)
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese (for topping)
For the filling:
2 tablespoons of pesto
1/3 cup of mozzarella
1/3 cup of parmigiana
1 cup of ricotta
1/4 cup pine nuts
1. You can sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and let them sit for about 15 minutes, if you desire. We do not find the step to be 100% necessary but it does prevent the eggplant from soaking up as much oil during the sauté process, and it takes away some of the natural bitterness.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the eggplant slices about four minutes on each side until the eggplant looks cooked through. It will look softer, and darker, and a little bit jammy. Remove eggplant from the skillet.
4. Mix together all filling ingredients, season with salt and fresh black pepper.
5. Place about 2 Tablespoons filling on the bottom of each eggplant slice and roll them up. Place them in a baking pan (a 9 inch baking pan should be about right). Top with the marinara sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. You can turn the oven to broil for a minute or two at the end to get an extra golden crunchy crust.
Related Stories from The Local Moms Network: